Early Intervention with eLuma
eLuma offers unparalleled online speech therapy solutions for the Early Intervention (EI). We know that the key to helping these students is to first see and then unlock their incredible potential. Our speech-language pathologists (SLPs) can provide all of the same required services live and online, through a fully-secure, HIPAA-compliant platform, as they can in person — and can do so with a high degree of effectiveness, efficiency and flexibility. We love working with these kids and find great satisfaction in seeing them progress and succeed.
What is Early Intervention?
Early intervention (EI) in the field of speech-language pathology focuses on addressing delays or disabilities that affect the typical development of skills in children from birth to age three. Some states allow Early intervention services to continue through age 5. EI services seek to support development to allow the child to meet key milestones and increase the child’s likelihood for success in school and beyond.
The early intervention team for a student may include a speech-language pathologist, physical therapist, occupational therapist, social worker, or other mental health professional, developmental specialist, audiologist, nurse, and family members. EI services are outlined within an Individual Family Service Plan and address the individual needs of the child in the following developmental areas:
- Physical, such as fine or gross motor skills
Feeding and swallowing
- Sensory Processing
- Adaptive or self-help
Best Practices for Early Intervention
eLuma’s Early Intervention program focuses on capitalizing on the individual’s strengths, improving functional skills, and creating support systems to help compensate for deficits. The eLuma online speech therapy team and the individual Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) play an important role in helping the students progress.
Best practices for Early Intervention, according to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, include services that are:
- Centered around the family and align with their culture
- Supportive of the child’s development
- Focused on the child’s natural environment
- Coordinated with a team of professionals and family members
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Early Intervention, Public. Available at https://www.asha.org/public/speech/Early-Intervention/.
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Early Intervention, Practice Portal. Available at https://www.asha.org/Practice-Portal/Professional-Issues/Early-Intervention/.
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Roles and Responsibilities of Speech-Language Pathologists in Early Intervention: Guidelines. Available at https://www.asha.org/policy/GL2008-00293/.
- Understood. Early Intervention: What It Is and How It Works. Available at https://www.understood.org/en/learning-attention-issues/treatments-approaches/early-intervention/early-intervention-what-it-is-and-how-it-works
Get a Free Consultation
If you have questions about online school based speech therapy and how it works, we invite you to check out our Why Online Therapy and How Online Therapy Works pages to learn more about how effective, affordable, and popular it really is.
If you want to learn more about how eLuma’s online speech therapy services can help your school district, we’re happy to provide a free consultation to talk through your specific needs.
Recent Blog Posts
Do the Meaningful Work You Love
Are you a therapist or service provider looking for rewarding work? We’re in a high-growth phase and are actively searching for online therapists in a range of disciplines. Our service providers are empathetic, skilled, experienced, and have diverse backgrounds. In return for their expertise and excellence, we’re committed to providing the best work experience possible.
Sound like you might be a good fit? Learn more about joining our online therapist community here.