Guest Post When I was in the second grade, a speaker came to our school and gave a talk about his battle with addiction. He
Online Autism Spectrum Disorder Therapy
Autism Spectrum Disorder & eLuma
eLuma offers unparalleled online speech therapy solutions for the Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) as well as an array of other spectrum related conditions. We know that the key to helping these students is to first see and then unlock their incredible potential. Our speech-language pathologists (SLPs) can provide all of the same required services live and online, through a fully-secure, HIPAA-compliant platform, as they can in person — and can do so with a high degree of effectiveness, efficiency and flexibility. We love working with kids on the spectrum and find great satisfaction in seeing them progress and succeed.
What is Autism Spectrum Disorder?
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a developmental condition that affects communication, social skills, and behavior. It is estimated that 1 in 54 children in the United States has ASD, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Symptoms of ASD generally appear by ages 2-3 and may include difficulties in the following areas:
Rigidity of behavior and routines.
Repetition of words or phrases the individual hears.
Continued intense interest in a particular topic or object, with difficulty shifting focus.
Sensory differences with varied sensitivity to light, noise, sound, texture, or temperature.
Communicating wants and needs.
Comprehending nonverbal communication, such as gestures.
Understanding others’ points of view.
Difficulty initiating and maintaining conversation.
Using appropriate facial expressions, eye contact, and tone of voice.
Since ASD is a spectrum disorder, symptoms and their severity vary greatly. Some individuals with ASD may also demonstrate impairments in food tolerance, fine and gross motor skills, sleep, or attention.
Treating Autism Spectrum Disorder
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Autism (Autism Spectrum Disorder). Available at https://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/autism/.
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Autism. Available at https://www.asha.org/Practice-Portal/Clinical-Topics/Autism/.
- Autism Speaks. What is Autism? Available at https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Available at https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/facts.html.
- National Institute of Mental Health. Autism Spectrum Disorder. Available at https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/autism-spectrum-disorders-asd/index.shtml.
- Regis College. What is Autism Spectrum Disorder and What Should Parents and Educators Know? Available at https://online.regiscollege.edu/blog/what-is-autism-spectrum-disorder/.
Want to Learn More?
If you’re like a lot of folks, you might still be a bit unfamiliar with online speech therapy services (aka teletherapy, telepractice, telehealth, etc.) and all of its many benefits. We invite you to check out our Why Online Therapy page to learn more about how effective, affordable and popular it really is.
If you want to learn more about how eLuma can specifically help YOUR program, we provide a free needs analysis to help you identify how you can improve your ability to deliver a broader range of high-quality online therapy services while simultaneously reducing your costs by several thousand (or more).
Recent Blog Posts
Guest Post by Pola Morrison, eLuma Mental Health Clinical Services Specialist De-escalation strategies are an important part of Trauma Informed training and is largely needed
PSA: My birthday is this week. (Yes, I am very big on birthdays- even as an old lady.) Do you know what else is this